Words Spoken True: A Novel - Ann H. Gabhart
What I really liked about this story is the rich historical detail and effort put into it. The setting is easy to picture, and as the story progresses, you certainly can feel the tension and the civil unrest there was during this particular time. So this aspect of the book was exceptionally well done. I really liked reading the characters in this book as well. I loved Adriane! she certainly was a very strong character (although, it was also good that she displayed her vulnerabilities as well, to make her more ‘real’). However what I liked about her the most is her strong independence and her willingness to make her own proper choices despite her betrothal and her social status. I liked how she made her own decisions and was willing to accept those consequences - even to the point of disappointing her own father. I also thought the villain in this book was very well done. He’s creepy enough while maintaining a facade and fooling others (he fooled me at first). Blake on the other hand is also well done (although he’s your typical gentleman you find in these kinds of novels) but the chemistry he has between himself and Adriane is well written and they go well together. The plot is well written, and the mystery part of the book is all right although it was rather predictable who the culprit is. The pacing is also well done although I thought it did drag its’ feet towards the last third of the book. Despite this small shortcoming, the book was still a great read and I absolutely enjoyed it. Most definitely recommended for those who like a nice clean historical romance with a rich setting, or those who are into inspirational fiction.