The Maid of Fairbourne Hall - Julie Klassen
I enjoyed this book. It was a good read and the characters were all very well done and likable. Although at first, I disliked Margaret. She wasn’t that likable in the beginning and acted more like a spoiled brat who took a lot of things for granted. However, Margaret also provided for the most developed character in the book and it was nice to see her grow and become a much better person. I enjoyed reading her experience as a housemaid (mostly comical, sometimes I felt sorry for her). The main couples ‘to be’ in this book suited each other very well. They were paired each other nicely, they sure had the chemistry all figured out but what was nice was when they were finally together. It made the ending of the novel a nice sweet one. The plot on the other hand was well done, I liked the amount of historical detail was made to make the plot much more authentic and realistic. I’m glad Julia Klassen took the time to make this book with as much historical detail as possible it made the reading experience much more fun. The only thing I didn’t like about the book was towards the end, the plot slowed a bit, and there was a mystery added that was interesting, but it just felt like it dragged the rest of the plot as well. However it did have a nice ending as I mentioned earlier and overall the book was good so I’d say this is just a minor issue. I’d recommend this to historical fiction lovers, the contrast between servant and high society is definitely mentioned and you follow Margaret in seeing the vast differences between the two. It’s most definitely worth the read.