Final Jeopardy - Linda Fairstein
I thought, as a Law and Order SVU fan, this might be something I might like (except in book format). Well, it was all right at first. I liked Alexandra. A very strong willed character, although she had her girlie moments, she wasn’t a stone cold woman of ice either. That was good. Her friendship with Mike Chapman was really fun to read. Chapman made the story more interesting with his sense of humor. His jabs towards Alexandra (and vice versa) were fun to read. The plot was all right. It wasn’t really that exciting. The only twist was who Isabella’s male companion was, but it wasn’t that shocking or revealing. However, I’m glad Alexandra didn’t mope about and became dramatic diva over that moment. I do like seeing her all up in a temper though - that was really entertaining to watch. So, the plot was rather mediocre, and although I did like the characters, it wasn’t enough to make me fully enjoy the book. What rather killed it for me was, it was rather dry. So dry, it took me a while to finish a book that only had 336 pages. Oh boy, did it ever drag. On top of that, Alexandra also handles many other cases and it’s all mixed in with the main case featuring Isabella. Now although this is realistic, to me it felt like it was added to fill in pages of the book. It wasn’t exciting, it didn’t particularly interest me, and there were many minor characters added you could not keep track without at least back tracking to figure out which case she’s talking about now. It came to the point where I skimmed through most of the last third of the book, read the grand climax (which wasn’t that great in the first place) and then I was done. I was just curious what was so great about these series and I just wanted to see how it was like. I realize this is the first book so of course, perhaps books after this one are better. Yet, I’m not sure if I’m going to get the second book. If it’s like this one, I will pass. This might not be for everyone, but those that are into legal thrillers are welcome to try and see for yourselves.