Broken Souls - Stephen Blackmoore

FYI for those of you who haven‘t read the first one. It’s best to do so.

***Spoilers ahead. You’ve been warned***

It amazes me how much Eric Carter can take. It makes sense now, because of his new found powers and his recent unsteady alliance with Santa Muerte. But in the last book? He was thrown about like a rag doll and still managed to do the dirty deed with the lady friend. (I’d rather plop down and sleep for an eternity and lick my wounds but everyone’s different right?.)

Like the first one, there’s lots of action in the book. It’s one thing after another with moments of insanity in between. I really thought Eric was losing his mind there. You probably would after seeing all the stuff he’s seen in a lifetime. He’s still a jerk and isn’t apologetic about it and his character does not develop much - although physical aspects to his character changes quite a bit thanks to the manipulation of the Gods.

Which brings me to the main plot. Eric is caught in between two Gods who are pretty much using him to their advantage and manipulating him into getting the ball rolling. I enjoyed this part of the book. It until the last third of the book where one finds out to what extent the manipulation goes to. Then Eric is ready to go out for more blood. Oh yes. Bring me book number three!!! (A notable scene which sticks with me is when Eric is stuck with two demons in a room. Loved that fighting scene. Perfectly written, demons were grotesque, and one just happened to take the guise of a child.)

We also have the addition of la Bruja (Gabriela) who I really enjoyed reading. She’s tough, with a heart of gold, isn’t afraid of telling Eric he’s an a-hole, and has a following willing to fight with her. I loved reading about her. She’s a tough cookie and does help Eric out, even though there’s trust issues (understandably so). I think Eric found a great ally here with Gabriela.

This was just as enjoyable to read as the first one. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for Eric the next time. I hope this series continues! It’s got so much potential to keep as an ongoing series.