sensitivemuse

sensitivemuse

Book blogger, chef, gamer, avid reader, hockey fanatic. Potential book hoarder and cat lady.

The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen)

The Goddess Test - Aimee Carter I really liked this novel. I REALLY LIKED IT. I was so into this book, I finished it rather quickly. I don’t know what else to say except I loved everything about it. The plot, the characters, the setting, everything about it was wonderfully done. The most pleasant surprise, was how the tests were done. It was completely unexpected and I thought it was going to go about a different way. Little did I know it was already happening when I least expected it. I liked Ava’s character. I thought at first she was the biggest baddest rudest jerk on the block, but she was also unexpectedly a very important character in the book. I really liked Kate too. She was strong willed, and cared for others above herself. The romantic chemistry between herself and Henry/Hades was great! it was slow growing at first - which is to be expected, but once they hit it off they were so compatible that they were a pleasure to read. Not to mention Henry/Hades does sound extremely sexy (a la brooding tortured soul archetype) but it’s all good! it’s not cheesy, it’s not silly, and you can’t help but have a book crush on this guy too. The plot was very well done. The pace was really good and it was interesting enough to get the reader going (and reading until it’s done!). There’s a good mixture of comedy, drama, and romance, yet also to add into the mix is mystery. The mystery part of the book was good. It did keep me guessing - although the list of suspects wasn’t that big however it was still an interesting read. My favorite parts though (besides Kate’s moments with Henry/Hades) were when she was with her mom in their ‘favorite place’. They were touching moments and you can feel her relationship with her mom was very special. The ending was great! the test results were not what I expected and it was an emotional roller coaster. Some secrets were revealed (although I’m sure a lot more are going to pop up). I’m most definitely looking forward to what’s coming up next in this series. I most definitely recommend this book to YA readers. It used the Persephone/Hades myth and didn’t chop it up, didn’t really deviate from it, and although there were one or two little changes, it didn’t drastically change everything. It’s well worth the read and leaves the reader wanting more!